Friday, March 29, 2013

We have hole alignment!

After the mountains of snow recently, there was a break in the bad weather and I spend a fine but cold Friday afternoon finishing off the job of replacing the clutch side engine mount. Try as I may, getting the holes on the mount to align with the holes on the subframe was not happening. The method I used in the end was to pick up the engine by holding the clutch housing and lifting up a little, then ramming it down as hard as possible. This aligned the holes just enough to get a screwdriver in from the underside. Spent the next hour, wrestling with the screwdrivers under the car prising the holes to where they should be. Eventually, I was able to drop the front bolt in from above. This was the easy bolt. The other bolt was more tricky to get in as I could not see the hole and had to just feel around behind the clutch. I must have dropped the bolt about 50 times and then had a bright idea. I threaded some string up through the hole and pulled it through and taped it to the end of the bolt. Gently pulling the string, I guided the bolt to the hole and bingo! Nuts on and fully tightened. I reattached the engine steady bars, both top and bottom and also the starter motor. Started the engine to check that all was working. Job done, nearly. Just need to put the front air intake and washer bottle back on, but not today!



Sunday, March 24, 2013

Snow holding up progress

Well I was hoping to spend some quality time this weekend finishing off the clutch side engine mount, but as we are waist deep in snow (OK, slight exaggeration), no work has been done. Actually, it is waist deep in the back garden! Oh well, just have to wait!

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Clutch side engine mount

Decided to change the clutch side engine mount as there feels to be some play from that side when driving. I suspect that changing the engine mount should solve the problem. To do the job i had to remove the grill, starter motor and washer fluid bottle. I also had to undo the top and bottom engine ties to enable the engine to be jacked up.

This engine mount is far more awkward than the other as the clutch is in the way. Still, I managed to get the old mount out after some hard work and it was in a state, but not as bad as the other it has to be said. There was just enough space to attach the new mount to the clutch housing. Then the dreaded part of aligning the holes to the subframe. That is where I had to leave the job as time ran out. just awaiting a bit of good weather now to get back and get the bolts through the subframe and finish the job.






Thursday, March 7, 2013

Cooling\Heating System Overhaul - Part 3 - Refitting

Now that the radiator and the heater have both been overhauled and the engine bay has been tidied up a little, the time has come to get everything back in the car and connected back up again.

Big hole where the radiator should be!

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Engine Mount - Radiator Side

While the radiator was out, it was the ideal time to address the knackered engine mounts. Shopping around, there seems to be a number of different styles to choose from, but I decided to play it safe and go for the standard replacements.