Saturday, May 25, 2013

Painted a bit more of the engine

Had some very fine weather recently, so it seemed an ideal time to paint a bit more of the engine.
Removed the front grill, HT leads, engine steady and anything else in the way. Then used good old 'Gunk' to get the crud off and WD40 to rinse. Then an aerosol engine cleaner to finish.

Once it was dry, I used a very small craft brush and undiluted Hammerite Smooth and a lot of time to go around the plugs and edges making sure it was neat. Then used a slightly thicker brush for the larger areas.
Luckily, I had the foresight to paint several coats behind the alternator before I fitted it!

I will need to remove the starter motor to get to the lower part of the engine block, but for now, I am pleased with the results.

Also painted the diaphragm on top of the distributor and the oil pipe silver to tidy it up.

Still to do: The lower part of the block. A second coat for the whole block.

NEXT DAY:
Actually, it is worth noting that the next day I was having problems starting the car. Turned out that I forgot to reattach the earth strap. Pays to double check everything!!









Saturday, May 4, 2013

Oil Change

Thought it was about time to change the oil as I have no idea how long the old oil had been in there. After a little research in the good old Haynes, it seemed a straight forward enough job. Things I bought for the job were a cheap Wilkinsons 5 litre container of oil for flushing, some decent quality 20w/50 mineral oil, a new oil filter and a new copper washer for the sump plug. I think it all totalled no more than £35.

The procedure was, as it turned out, quite straight forward.
I used an old baking tray to catch the oil and a larger washing up bowl also.

Actually, it is worth noting here that the sump plug size is 15/16" which is about, but not exactly 24mm. I read that a 24mm socket fits, but is a little loose and you could risk rounding the nut. I didn't want to risk this so I purchased a 15/16" socket especially for this job.

Started by running the engine for a while to get it up to temperature. Then, after removing the oil filler cap on the rocker cover, I placed the baking tray under the sump plug and removed the plug and let about one third of the oil drain into the tray.

I emptied the tray into the larger bowl and repeated the task until the oil was fully drained.
Then I poured the cheap oil through the system and discarded that also.
Next, I had to remove the grill to Change the oil filter.

I cleaned all the bits off the sump plug and replaced the copper washer with a new one and put it back in place with 25 lbf lt (about 35 Nm) of torque. Then it was just a job of pouring in the new oil and putting the grill back on. I ran the engine for a few moments and everything seemed OK.

All in all, this was a fairly straight forward job, except now I have 10 litres of old engine oil to get rid of. Well actually 5 litres of used oil and 5 litres of flushed through oil. A trip to the tip will soon sort that though as they have a used oil disposal bin there.

Did it drive better? I have to be honest and say that it seemed the same, but at least I know that there is lovely fresh oil sloshing about in the gearbox now, so that's something.











Friday, May 3, 2013

Passenger wheel arch

Finished work under the passenger wheel arch. Used a wire brush to remove the remaining loose paint and applied several coats of Hammerite. Once that was dry, I applied a liberal coat of Waxoyl. Underbody seal over the top.


Waited overnight and reattached the fresh air hose. As suspected fitting the hose to the bulkhead was a horrible job. It's a tight fit and you are working in an awkward way, but after much heaving and cursing it eventually was fitted.

Now both front arches are fully protected with Waxoyl. At some point I will need to revisit this area and do a full repair, but for now, this will do.