Thursday, January 29, 2015

Clutch Kit Rebuild

<This post is part of the 'Winter Project 2014/15 - New Engine Rebuild' project>

After the recent shopping spree, I have all the parts I need to build the verto clutch up to the point where it can be mounted on the crankshaft when the new engine is ready. The clutch kit itself came from Mini Sport, the centre boss came from Mini Spares and the flywheel came with the last engine I bought. I checked the flywheel surface and although not perfect, it can be brought up to scratch with a little work. The first job though is to bolt the centre boss to the pressure plate.

Centre boss and pressure plate

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

This week, I have been mostly... shopping

<This post is part of the 'Winter Project 2014/15 - New Engine Rebuild' project>

Well if I'm ever going to get this new engine built, I'm going to need to buy a few bits. I did have a number of spare parts kicking about from the spare engines I have dismantled, but when it comes to things such as the water pump and the oil pump, they're so cheap, it's seems crazy to put the old ones back on.

First trip was to Mini Sport ...

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Camshaft in the Pits...

<This post is part of the 'Winter Project 2014/15 - New Engine Rebuild' project>

...or should that be pits in the camshaft! Still on with the task of building a new engine, I needed to turn my attention to getting a decent camshaft sorted out. When I bought the latest engine, it was in bits and sold as seen. Although it was a great bargain, when I searched through the box of bits, it was missing the cam. Not a major problem as I have a few spares from the previous engines I have taken to pieces, snag is though they may not be up to the job...


Monday, January 5, 2015

Starter Motor Overhaul

<This post is part of the 'Winter Project 2014/15 - New Engine Rebuild' project>

While I was in Stafford buying my latest engine, I took the opportunity to pick up a few other items I needed. One of which was a pre-engaged starter motor. While it did look rather dirty and there was no guarantee it would work, I thought it was worth a punt for a tenner. When I got it home and checked it, I found although the motor ran as expected, the solenoid was not activating. I could either try to fix the solenoid, or buy another.  To be honest, as it was knackered anyway, I had nothing to lose by taking it to bits...