Friday, March 27, 2015

Cleaning the Clutch Housing

<This post is part of the 'Winter Project 2014/15 - New Engine Rebuild' project>

Well now all the fun building the gearbox is over, I need to get back to the job of rebuilding the rest of the engine. Had it not been for the fact I keep tripping over the thing in the spare room, I dare say I would have forgotten about it, it's been so long. Anyway, the thing I want to look at now is the clutch housing and cover.

Clutch cover in standard filth!

Sunday, March 22, 2015

MOT Prep - Wrecked Rear Rubber Replaced

With the weather picking up recently, I'm thinking about getting the Mini back on the road so it can earn its keep once more. The only problem is though, both the tax and MOT have expired over winter while the car was declared SORN. So with the MOT in mind, I have been looking around the car to see if there are any obvious MOT failures. One thing that sticks out straight away, and it's down to the curse of crappy quality rubber yet again, are the rear knuckle joints I fitted back in January last year. Bearing in mind I took the car off the road in November last year, after 11 months of use, they look like this...

Utterly knackered after 11 months.

Friday, March 20, 2015

Differential Rebuild

<This post is part of the 'Winter Project 2014/15 - (Gearbox Refurb)' project>

Having already stripped the differential unit down in this post, the final part of the project was to put it back together and reunite it with the gearbox. Obviously before it gets reassembled, it's very important to lay all the parts out for no reason other than they look nice.

Don't they look nice!

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Gearbox Rebuild - Part 4 - Finishing Off

<This post is part of the 'Winter Project 2014/15 - (Gearbox Refurb)' project>

In the previous post, I got to the point of putting the mainshaft in and getting it all bolted up. Now I just have a few bits to finish off, the speedo housing and the oil pickup pipe to be specific. This should be very straight forward, but it does leave me questioning what is the best way to gasket them up.


Sunday, March 15, 2015

Gearbox Rebuild - Part 3 - Gears In

<This post is part of the 'Winter Project 2014/15 - (Gearbox Refurb)' project>

With the mainshaft built up in the previous post, it's now time to mount it in the gearbox. Already in place, detailed in this post are the selectors, the reverse gear and the oil strainer. Just like in the previous post, I'll be using a step by step guide, two in fact, this one posted by Mini Mania to help me get the gears in and also this video for bolting it all up afterwards. I also found this article from The Mini Forum an incredibly helpful read.

No matter how much research is out there, there's nothing like experience so here we go...


Saturday, March 14, 2015

Gearbox Rebuild - Part 2 - Mainshaft Rebuild

<This post is part of the 'Winter Project 2014/15 - (Gearbox Refurb)' project>

With the exciting arrival of a new package today from Guessworks comes the ability to press on with the next stage of the gearbox rebuild. Now I have the new baulk rings, I can assemble the mainshaft ready to insert into the case. At first, building the mainshaft seemed a little complex, but after watching this step by step video guide posted by Mini Mania and also this one posted by Guessworks, it turned out to be a very straight forward project.




Saturday, March 7, 2015

Gearbox Rebuild - Part 1 - Selectors In

<This post is part of the 'Winter Project 2014/15 - (Gearbox Refurb)' project>

In the previous 'Gearbox Refurb' posts, I detailed how I stripped every single part ofthe  gearbox and assessed what I was going to reuse and what I was going to buy. Although I am waiting for the main centre bearing and some baulk rings to arrive, I am able to crack on and get the selector forks in the 'new' case. I say 'new' case, it's one that I stripped last year and spent quite a long time cleaning up, so it looks new.



Friday, March 6, 2015

Gearbox Stripdown - Part 4 - Mainshaft Strip

<This post is part of the 'Winter Project 2014/15 - (Gearbox Refurb)' project>

In the previous post, I got the gearbox completely stripped of parts, however the fun doesn't stop there. I want to get the main shaft stripped down to check everything is in tip top condition.



Thursday, March 5, 2015

Gearbox Stripdown - Part 3 - Selectors Out

<This post is part of the 'Winter Project 2014/15 - (Gearbox Refurb)' project>

In the previous post, I got to the point where all the gears had been removed from the gearbox leaving just the gear selector parts to deal with, so guess what today's job is!



Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Gearbox Stripdown - Part 2 - Gears Out

<This post is part of the 'Winter Project 2014/15 - (Gearbox Refurb)' project>

In the previous post, I got to the point where I needed to get the nut off the first motion shaft, but didn't have the necessary 1 1/18" deep socket to do the job. Rather than just buy a single socket, I decided to buy a bargain basement set of sockets from ebay that included the one I wanted.

Arriving 1 day earlier than expected, I was very pleased with my £29.50 investment as these sockets will come in handy for a number of things I'm sure. But now they're here, it's time to crack on with the gearbox.

Yeah!!- New tools!!