Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Stripping the Current, Soon To Be Old Engine

<This post is part of the 'New Engine Rebuild' project>
With the new engine almost built up and ready to go, I thought it was time to start pilfering parts from the current (soon to be old) engine, that I will be needing in order to move the project along.




Friday, July 17, 2015

Piston Pressure

<This post is part of the 'New Engine Rebuild' project>
Everyone should have a mate called Dave. If you haven't got a mate called Dave, you are missing out and really should consider seeking one . I have a mate called Dave and he has kindly loaned me his piston compression gauge.

Best put it to good use...



Monday, July 13, 2015

Fitting an Oil Pressure Gauge

<This post is part of the 'New Engine Rebuild' project>
Now that the engine is all sealed up (or so I thought, read on and see my monumental stupidity!!), it's time to drop some oil in and see if I can get some pressure!! To see how much pressure, I bought myself a second hand oil pressure gauge for about a fiver and the necessary gubbins to plumb it in.

It's been a long trek to get to this post so, let's get started...



Sunday, July 12, 2015

Tappet Covers

<This post is part of the 'New Engine Rebuild' project>
Still pressing on with trying to seal the engine ready for oil, the last step is to get the tappet covers in place.



Saturday, July 11, 2015

Fuel Pump

<This post is part of the 'New Engine Rebuild' project>
Things are really starting to come together now with the new engine as a major milestone was reached in the previous post. The next big thing I want to be able to do is to pour in the engine oil and get oil pressure. Before that can happen though, all the holes round the back of the engine need covering over so the oil doesn't just pour back out again, Two of those holes belong to the tapper covers which I'll get to in the next post, the other is where the fuel pump lives.



Friday, July 10, 2015

Head On The Block

<This post is part of the 'New Engine Rebuild' project>
Now that I have the head sorted and also a fully restored rocker set, it's time to mount it all on top of the block and finally make something that resembles a working engine.



Monday, July 6, 2015

Rebuilding The Rockers

<This post is part of the 'New Engine Rebuild' project>
In the previous post I got the head checked over and painted up ready to go onto the block, but what use is a head without the rockers? None I hear you shout, and you'd be right, well maybe apart from using it as a door stopper for a very large door, say a barn door for example or even a paper weight for use in stormy weather! Anyway, back to the rockers, time to sort them out...


Sunday, July 5, 2015

Head Check!

<This post is part of the 'New Engine Rebuild' project>
When I first bought the engine, in what seems like a lifetime ago now, it came with a fairly decent head that looked like it had been recently re-machined. Before I committed to using though, I wanted to make sure that everything was as it should be, so I decided to take the valves out and check it over before I painted it.




Friday, July 3, 2015

Dizzy-In-'ly Simple!!

<This post is part of the 'New Engine Rebuild' project>
In the past, before I had taken any of my engines apart, I thought that if I took the distributor out, that it would be nearly impossible to get it back in again the same way and the engine would be ruined! I'm not kidding either, I actually thought that and I was so concerned about this that I thought that putting the distributor in the new engine would be difficult and need a ton of setting up and tinkering to get it right.

Well turns out it was really easy...


Thursday, July 2, 2015

Oil Filter and Water Pump

<This post is part of the 'New Engine Rebuild' project>
As I only have bits of time here and there to concentrate on the engine, I find that I need to make lots of little steps at the moment. This works out well as now the Clutch cover is on, a lot of the next work is in nice bite sized lumps. The first of today's bite sized lumps, is to attach the oil filter and its associated pipe.