Sunday, August 30, 2015

Front Subframe Removal

Now, I have to say that when I set about getting the engine bay ready for a nice new engine, at no point did I think that I'd be taking the front subframe out! However, when I looked down at the bulkhead, there were parts that clearly needed work that were just inaccessible with the subframe in place.



Saturday, August 29, 2015

Brake Cylinder and Limiter Valve - Demuckification

In the previous post, I declared (tongue in cheek a little) that I was starting 'Operation Tidy the Engine Bay' and started off by removing and overhauling the two clutch cylinders. Now it's the turn for the brake cylinder and the limiter valve as they look like they have seen better days.

Due to the complication of these parts, I decided not to take them to pieces at this time, preferring to just clean them up and make them more presentable. Hence the reason for titling this post as a 'Demuckification' rather than an 'Overhaul'.

Brake Master Cylinder and Limiter Valve


Friday, August 28, 2015

Clutch Cylinders - Overhaul

After successfully removing the engine without injuring myself or damaging the car, which I'm pretty chuffed about, it's left behind a rather scruffy looking engine bay. As I've spent the last 9 months painstakingly rebuilding the new engine, painting and polishing every component to perfection, there's just no way it's going in without a bit of a tidy up first.

For that reason, I'm starting 'Operation Tidy the Engine Bay', not the catchiest of titles I grant you, but it explains things rather well. The first things that need to come out for beauty treatment are the 2 clutch cylinders. The slave cylinder is an easy job to remove, but the master is an absolute nightmare...


Thursday, August 27, 2015

Removing The Old Engine

<This post is part of the 'Engine Swap' project>
In the previous post I got the engine to the point where it was ready to just lift out. The problem is though, it's a heavy lump and no matter how much spinach I eat, there's just no way I'm going to be able to lift it with brute force alone.

So after a little pondering, I decided to have a go (like a hooligan) with some rope and a plank of wood. As the Mini is parked near a wall, I thought it might be possible to rest one end of the plank on the wall, strap the engine to the plank, then lift the engine up and swing it round. Guess how it went...


Thursday, August 20, 2015

Unplugging The Old Engine

<This post is part of the 'Engine Swap' project>
Now that the new engine is finally ready to go in the car, today's job is to get the old engine to the point where it's ready to be lifted out. In the recent post 'Stripping the Current, Soon To Be Old Engine', I've already removed the Heater Valve, Carburettor, Radiator, Alternator, Distributor, Coil and Earth Strap. Also the Temperature Sender and Oil Pressure Warning Sender were removed. Surely there can't be much more! Well it appears there is more, lots in fact...


Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Cam Lift v's Valve Lift - A Descent Into Madness!

Well after a nice relaxing break in Scotland with virtually no internet connection, I'm back and keen to get on and finish off the engine. Before I went away, I was getting bogged down worrying about the camshaft and how accurate the lobes were. One of the great things about getting away from a project is that it changes your perspective and while I was away I realised that I was going into too much detail and it was holding back the progress. Yep, even for me there's a limit as to how 'into' camshafts one can go and I was going too far!! That's not to say that I haven't learnt a stack of useful stuff in the process though...