Sunday, May 29, 2016

Manifold Sadness!!

Back in this post here, I decided to take a risk and paint the exhaust manifold with some zinc spray paint I had kicking about the shed. It said on the back of the can that it was good for temperatures upto 250 degrees Celsius which seemed fine and dandy!!! Problem is though, I have absolutely no idea just how hot the manifold gets. Well, now that the engines back up and running again, I guess we'll get to see how the paint copes with the heat...



Saturday, May 28, 2016

Finally Solved the Starting Problem!

Well, so far, this engine has brought me nothing but problems... all of which were completely avoidable had I have known what I was doing! But hey-ho, that's all part of the learning journey. First time I built it, it started up perfectly, but I soon discovered that it was horribly imbalanced. So much so that it had to striped down again, sent off to a company to have the parts re-balanced, (twice!), before it could be rebuilt a second time. And now of course, it simply refuses to start, but I'm onto it and think I know what's wrong...


Sunday, May 15, 2016

Head Transplant Successful - But!!

In the previous post, I was trying to start the engine for the first time since the re-rebuild (Long story) and was having no success at all. Then to make matters worse, I noticed that there was petrol leaking out of the head gasket near cylinder number 4. So today's task is to whip the head off the old engine and swap them over.

I'm sure petrol should not come out of here!!

Friday, May 13, 2016

Stupid Thing Won't Start!! - Aargh!!

After last weeks preparations, I'm out again today ready to start the engine for the first time since the rebuild, well the second rebuild to be precise as I've been here once before with this engine!! Anyway, the weather is decent enough at the moment, so let's hope for the best this time...


Sunday, May 8, 2016

Prepping For the First Start

Now that the engine is back in and all connected up, I'm just a few steps away from firing it up and testing that it works properly. But before any of that can happen, there is the small issue of choosing the correct oil for the job...



Saturday, May 7, 2016

Carb Clearance Revisited!

Now that the engine is back where it should be and mostly re-attached, there's just one last job that needs attention: And that's to bolt in my all new, singing and dancing, adjustable top engine steady, seen here next to it's original counterpart. Don't you just love new shiny things!!


Friday, May 6, 2016

Engine In - Again!

Well the day has finally come again, when I get to use my fantastic engine hoist I bought last year. It's one of those bits of kit that you sometimes wonder why you've spent the money on it, but when you come to use it, it's worth its weight in gold as it makes the job almost effortless. I would like to emphasis the term 'almost' effortless, as the first job is to get the hoist out of the shed and assemble it and that's a task in itself as it's kind of buried under junk!!

Hello cows.

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Manifold Madness

In the previous post, I knocked a few small jobs off the list and was all set to get the engine back in the car, but then noticed that the LCB exhaust manifold I bought for this project (here), was starting to look a little tatty already. Although it was only a cheapish mild steel budget item, I still want it to look its best and last as long as possible. Well long enough at least until I can afford to replace it with a stainless steel one! So I decided to paint it.


Sunday, May 1, 2016

Finishing Off The Engine

Hooray! After a 'Sweet As' time in New Zealand, we're off and running again with the engine rebuild. The blog's back on as the tinkering commences once more!!!