Friday, June 17, 2016

MOT Time

Well the day has finally arrived... MOT day!! Eeeek!! It's a day that I'm both dreading and at the same time, uncontainably excited about! As the car is currently untaxed, it's been off the road and declared as SORN to save a few pennies while the engine work was being overhauled.

So although it runs, it's never actually been tested as it would be illegal to drive it on a public road without tax or MOT, unless you're going to or from a pre-booked MOT test centre. So before I can really start to worry about it passing the MOT test, it needs to get from my tiny drive to the MOT garage with an untested, untuned, brand new engine... wish me luck!!



Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Rotten Rubber

Just when you thought it was safe to take your car for an MOT test, you spot that the handbrake gaiters you fitted not that long ago are totally and utterly knackered, yet again!!! I don't know about you, but I'm pretty fed up with the appalling quality of rubber parts on the market at the moment. The picture below highlights the problem perfectly as the rubber has become brittle and completely failed in less than two years and when you consider that for most of that time, the car has been off the road, it's just not acceptable!!!


Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Bonnet Catch and Alignment

Now I've got the engine in (and tested) and the exhaust's back on, it's time to get the front finished off ready for its MOT test. The main job is to install the bonnet catch, but before that, there are a few other piddly little jobs that need knocking off the list. So as I've an hour or so free today, I thought I'd crack on and get them sorted.



Sunday, June 5, 2016

Exhaust Reloaded!

In the previous post, I managed to finally get the car back on all four wheels once again after being up on axle stands for months. Apart from this being a symbolic milestone in the project, it's also a very useful one as it now allows me to roll the car forward to gain access to the rear in order to hang the exhaust.


Friday, June 3, 2016

Hub-a, Hub-a Yum-Yum!!

Having spent way too much time recently trying to work out why my new engine wouldn't start, I finally cracked the problem and eventually got it chugging along very nicely. So now that milestone's been achieved, I'm ready to press on with the rest of the build and get the car back on its wheels once again. But if you look down to the front wheel arches you'll notice that there's currently nothing to mount the wheels on to!!!