Thursday, March 30, 2017

A Quick Ketchup!!

I know, I know... it's been ages since my previous blog post; but what with a mixture of winter weather limiting any progress, being too busy with work and also being unwell; I've not been able to crack on and get as much done as I would have wanted to. But fear not dear reader, the blog is not dead, at least not yet!!!



So as it's been so long, let's have a quick catch up on the story so far and take it from there...
Well back in the dim and distant past, I thought it would be a great idea to buy a spare engine, well several in fact. Two that were mostly for parts and one that came in pieces, but had a lot of machine work already completed.



After spending a considerable amount of time, money and effort getting it to the point where it could be installed in the car, I was well pleased with my efforts.



Everything was excellent until I ran the engine only to realised that it felt really unbalanced and vibrated more than a plucked chicken in the antarctic! So out came the engine again so it could be stripped down and sent off to a machine shop to be balanced. It was truly sad times!!

After the engine was rebuilt a second time and installed, everything seemed better than before, however there was still a bit of a vibration that was difficult to ignore. It was annoying enough not to put up with so I started to investigate the cause.

The first thing I investigated was to look at the bushes on the top engine mount. I changed them from polyurethane over to a more traditional rubber compound. But driving round, it was evident that the problem was not fixed. So at the time, for health reasons and also the cold dark nights, I decided to take the car off the road and wait until things were better



After, one long winter and a few days later, I once again found myself outside, spanner in hand enjoying some quality time with my Mini, hoping to fix the engine issue once and for all.

I'm planning to investigate all the simple things first and then if needs be, move into more serious open engine surgery, which I'm really hoping to avoid, only time will tell...

With that in mind, I thought I'd turn my attention to the flywheel assembly as I wondered about temporarily swapping it out for my old one to see what the affect would be. The old one always seemed perfectly balanced when it was attached to the old engine so I'm hoping it will be on this engine.

So that's what I'll be covering in the next post: How to remove the flywheel with the engine still in the car; not the easiest of tasks, but still preferable to removing the whole engine to reach it.

In the mean time, I'll leave you with this wonderfully obscure image to contemplate.... No prizes, just a pat on the back if you guess what it is.






For updates, stick a 'Like' on
Wayne's Mini Progress facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment